TMJ disorders are debilitating for most. TMJ disorders, along with the complex dental problems that occur as a result of long term TMJ dysfunction, may compromise your oral health. Dr. John Hendricks will address damage to restore tooth structure and oral health.
Restoration Procedures for TMJ
Dr. Hendricks will help you to the restore optimal function to your TMJ. Some restorative procedures for TMJ may include:
Are You Suffering From A TMJ Disorder?
TMJ, or the temporomandibular joint, is a joint connecting the upper and lower jaw, responsible for the opening and closing of the mouth. TMJ is also general term given to a condition in which the jaw joints or teeth do not fit together properly.
Common Causes of TMJ Disorder
There is no single cause for TMJ disfunction. Stress is the leading cause for TMJ problems, but any number of factors or combination of factors may be to blame including:
- Trauma to the head, neck, or face
- Trauma to the TMJ joint or arthritis
- Hormonal changes or imbalances
- Malocclusion (where the jaws do not line up correctly resulting in bite problems)
- Anxiety, tension and other environmental factors
Common TMJ Symptoms
TMJ symptoms vary greatly from one patient to another. Because TMJ symptoms are similar to those of other medical conditions, making a diagnosis can be extremely difficult for an untrained dentist or physician. Common TMJ symptoms include:
- Shoulder, neck, facial pain
- Clicking or popping when opening or closing jaw
- Locked jaw or limited mobility in the jaw joint
- Teeth clenching, teeth grinding, often accompanied by tooth wear
- Chronic earaches
Schedule a Consultation
TMJ dysfunction can put significant restrictions on your life by causing chronic pain and discomfort as well as cosmetic dental issues. Contact South Carolina dentist Dr. John Hendricks at Lowcountry Dental Center in Bluffton for a consultation and to learn more about TMJ treatment. Give us a call at (843) 706-3377, or request an appointment online today.